Thursday, October 31, 2019

Gatling Rathound (Part 2)


After priming I started laying some colors down to figure out how I would paint it. Greyed out all the flesh and furred areas and used Seagreen for the armor panels inside the trim.


While doing this I started to run into my first issues. The gesso and gloss varnish had dulled a lot of the details but I also hadn't left enough of an exaggerated edge in the 3D model between the helmet and face as you can see above. The face is an area the eye is already drawn too so I figured painting on the separations wouldn't really suffice and it was time to break out the greenstuff.


Had been a few years since I had done any greenstuff work but it came out alright I think. A big help was reading David Soper's blog entry on sculpting his P30 project. In particular the following quote:
"I’ve found it important to understand that Greenstuff changes in nature as it cures. When first mixed it’s very soft and sticky but over time it becomes firmer and less sticky. This means that, although hard to sculpt, when first mixed it will adhere to a surface very well. It is also soft enough to blend edges with the surface it has been stuck to. However, in order to sculpt Greenstuff with any sort of defenition, it has to begin the curing process. As the Greenstuff becomes firmer it becomes easier to create crisp forms and details."


After fixing the issues with the helmet I started filling out the rest of the basecoats and noticing more borders that were undefined and would need some greenstuff help.


The picture above is after deciding the main color areas and blocking them in. You can also see where I have sketched out the highlights on the body and my first attempt at a heated metal effect on the chain gun. The organic areas handled the filling paint a lot better than the machined parts so ended up adding a bunch of small greenstuff embellishments to those as I went along.


Top left shows some bands on the side tanks and a lip around lens, below it a rim on the tail spike and a rebuild of the claw on the foot. Next to these is the main tank, added trim and rivets around the bottom to separate it from the body. Next two pictures are the trim on the armor plate, built up the interior rim and made the rivets more pronounced. Last two pictures on the right shows some fur I added to the join of the tail.


Top chaingun is the end result of my first attempt, way too saturated and not grimy enough. Repainted silver over the effect and then did it a second time below. The 2nd attempt I thinned the washes down by half with water and glazed it on in a slower more controlled fashion.


Some areas I brought back the detail lost during the filling process with paint effects. An example in the picture above which shows the shoulder fur pad. Top picture is just basecoated with some inital shadows sketched in. Below it you can see how I painted some fake fur textures on to try create some depth.


No comments:

Post a Comment