Friday, October 18, 2019

Remnants of the World That Was



These 20 Clanrats were painted in 2011-2012, it was my first time painting after another 4 year gap. Wanted them to look good but was still pretty aware of needing to do really large units of these so tried to take a bunch of shortcuts using the techniques I knew at the time.

The grey fur for example is just a Codex Grey basecoat hit with 3 coats of Devlan Mud. On a side note I miss Devlan Mud, Agrax just isn't the same! It was my first time using the new wash range and was really impressed compared to the old Citadel Inks I was used to. The metals were stippled and drybrushed, it was my first time trying weathering and it's pretty basic and heavy handed but works alright for the effort involved.

Had initially wanted to stick to a neutral/monotone scheme of greys and browns for the whole army but the weathered metals expanded the palette a little. Teal/Turquoise/Sea-green has been my favorite colorband in general so decided to use it on the top cloth of the less armored rats as the armored ones upper halves were already quite saturated with that color for the verdigris.

The cloth areas I spent a little more time on and did in the old layering style. I had read about blending with glazes via a forum post but the tutorial was in text and I didn't understand the need to wick off the excess paint. I thought I was glazing the top cloth but was actually just tinting the highlights back with a Scaly Green wash.

I wanted to keep the palette super limited throughout the army but I might have taken it a little far with the mushrooms being the same color as the cloth and verdigris. I'll be re-basing them for AoS on some rounds eventually and will probably go with a more traditional red/brown mushroom look.

Another reason I kept the palette small at the time was less choice and more circumstance in that a lot of the paints I had assumed were OK had dried up due to bad storage and care. Almost all the paints these guys were done in are either out of production completely or at least had a name change or two since but I'll give a small rundown of what was used:

Bleached Bone: Used for the pale skin areas on extremities and tails. Mixed it into everything below for any highlighting to try keep the tones similar across the model.

Snakebite Leather: Lower robes, straps and base flock.

Scaly Green: Top robes, verdigris and mushrooms

Codex Grey: Furred skin areas, drybrushed on slate rocks.

Dwarf Bronze/Tin Bitz: Clanrat armored areas.

Scorched Brown: Spearhafts, wood shields, base rims and timber.

Scorched Brown/Dark Flesh/Fiery Orange: Rust on weapons and chainmail.

Boltgun Metal: Wet/Drybrushed on chainmail and spears.

Blood Red/Fiery Orange: Eyes

Devlan Mud: Everything

Chaos black was mixed with the Snakebite and Scaly Green for shading the robes. Was mixed with Scorched Brown for the base rims as well.

The banner and shield markings were my first attempts at freehand. They came out alright but the dags are pretty rough looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment