Thursday, October 24, 2019

When Sprue gives you Hand-Weapons make Spears

When I first assembled the initial 20 Clanrats from the Isle of Blood set it was 8th edition and Skaven Slaves were still a thing. The kit came with 20 spear arms and 20 hand weapon arms so I had split the Clanrat sculpts between the ones with more armor which got spears and those with less which I earmarked for hand weapon armed slaves.

Now that slaves aren't a thing anymore I want them all armed with spears for simplicity sake so I decided to try convert up the hand weapons into spears. (Leftmost spear in top 3 pics is a non-converted spear for scale)


I did the sword arms first as I figured they would be the easiest as the blades were already on. I carved up old sprue into suitable sizes and then pinned them to the pommel of the sword hilts. Some look better than others but they pass well enough when painted up.


Next up was the club arms, there are two copies of each of the different weapons in the box. The picture above shows them next to their unconverted version. The blades were plundered from my old middlehammer bitz box and include 40k Ork boyz daggers, multi-pose Skaven blades and Night Goblin spears. They were pretty chunky blades so I shaved them down a little with varying success.


And above are the same arms after finishing them up. I ended up using the other half of the nun-chucks as the bottom of two of the spears and shaving off some bolts from the Ork dagger hilts I used for two of the blade attachments.



I postponed doing these arms while painting up the bodies of the clanrats so had to paint them in a batch of 11 at once. Left is basecoats down and right is after washes and highlights. The rust is done with Scorched Brown, Dark Flesh, Skrag Brown and Blazing Orange wetblended and stippled randomly in layers to build it up. 

These are the last few, mostly daggers which got fully replaced and the cleavers which got edited into a kind of halberd/axe looking set. 

Nothing too crazy but had the WIP pictures so thought I would throw them up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment